As the title suggests I’m going to be presenting you pregnant mommies with some different ways to combat some of the most experienced and unpleasant pregnancy symptoms! These ideas came from real life mommies that submitted their suggestions and ideas via Facebook. Remember to always check with your Doctor, primary care provider, or OBGYN before trying any of these or taking any supplements/vitamins!
Heartburn is one of the most common symptoms during pregnancy, and one that I am currently experiencing. Remember to consult a healthcare professional before trying any of these remedies. Here are the top 5 ways to combat this symptom, that were submitted by real moms:
- Kombucha – This is basically fermented tea that originated in China. It is a probiotic drink that has many health benefits and many moms swear it helps them with heartburn.
- Calcium Soft Chews – This is great for people who hate the chalky aftertaste of tums. They pretty much work the same way but taste a lot better which is especially great for pregnant mommies!
- Pickle Juice – This one might seem especially weird, but many moms swear by pickle juice for heartburn! apparently the vinegar in the pickle juice helps some people relieve indigestion symptoms.
- Milk – For those that cannot stomach pickle juice, other moms suggest drinking milk. The milk can counteract stomach acid, at least for a little while and its healthy for you!
- Apple Cider Vinegar – This last one is a little less heard of but it’s the same idea as the pickle juice. Basically you mix 1:2 parts apple cider vinegar and water and drink! It’s not going to taste good but it might just do the trick to calm your stomach.
NAUSEA/ MORNING SICKNESS
One of the more common symptoms, and one I was blessed not to experience! Some poor mommies suffer from this all day long rather then just in the morning like the traditional name suggests. Remember to consult a healthcare professional before trying any of these remedies. Here are the top 5 ways to combat this symptom, that were submitted by real moms:
- Ginger – A classic remedy to this symptom is all things ginger! whether it be ginger ale, ginger pops, ginger chews etc. Lots of moms feel relief when consuming these types of things and its even been known to help with heartburn!
- Vitamin B6 – This supplement has been known to reduce nausea in pregnant women and many doctors do suggest it.
- Lean Protein – lean protein snacks are high in B6, so if you’re not wanting to take extra vitamin supplements this would be a great alternative for you! Also eating small snacks has been a proven way to fight against nausea as well as fatigue.
- Peppermint – Sucking on a peppermint is pretty much the same idea as sucking on a ginger candy. This is a long time used home remedy and even inhaling peppermint scent can help settle an upset stomach.
- Acupressure/ Pressure Points – Lots of moms are really into using pressure points to relieve all kinds of symptoms but its especially popular for morning sickness. There are even bracelets you can purchase that will apply the proper action. There are all kinds of internet resources and books on this as well.
MUSCLE ACHES/ CRAMPS
Now this one I have struggled with personally all throughout pregnancy. Its such a pain, literally! to carry a growing body inside of you, remember to consult a healthcare professional before trying any of these remedies. Here are the top 5 ways to combat this symptom, that were submitted by real moms:
- Epsom Salt Baths – Epsom salts are a common use in the medical field, particularly in retirement and care homes for people that suffer in old age from these bodily pains. Epsom salt can relieve muscle tension and relax joints, plus baths are super relaxing!
- Massages – One of the simplest and cheapest ways to help combat this symptom is to get a massage! You can ask your partner to do this for you, or another close family member or support person. This is a great bonding experience and a good massage might be all you need to get some relief at the end (or beginning) of the day. If you wanted to splurge and get a prenatal massage or maybe suggest it as a nice gift from someone, that’s always great too!
- Magnesium Supplements – You may be more prone to muscle pains and cramps if your magnesium is low, this is often the case with pregnant women and you should consult your doctor to see if taking extra magnesium might help you!
- Prenatal Yoga/ Low Impact exercise – My doctor had suggested to me doing some low impact exercise to help loosen my joints and relieve muscle and back pain by stretching. Luckily there are actual exercises and classes dedicated to pregnant ladies such as prenatal yoga!
- Swimming – Same idea as low impact exercise but this has the added benefit of taking that extra weight off you that you’ve been carrying around, its the perfect combo of a nice bath and some exercise!
FATIGUE/ SLEEP TROUBLE
I haven’t met a pregnant women ever that said she never had trouble sleeping during pregnancy, or trouble getting enough sleep! This is often because of other symptoms such as having to constantly pee, cramps, it being so hard to breath – that kind of thing. Anyways here are some ways mommies have found that helped at least a little with this, remember to consult a healthcare professional before trying any of these remedies. Here are the top 5 ways to combat this symptom, that were submitted by real moms:
- Cat Naps – Getting enough rest through out the day when you can and when you feel you need to will help you feel more rested when you do have to get up and get things done! Pregnancy is the perfect excuse to kick back, put on some Netflix and rest!
- Pillows – Lots of mommies find relief by using pillows to prop themselves and support their bodies. Make sure that if you invest in an actual pregnancy pillow you read your return policy as they are expensive, and try it out right away to make sure it works for you! Using several household pillows or a body pillow works just as well in my opinion!
- Stay Hydrated – Being properly hydrated is going to seriously boost your energy, its beneficial for many other pregnancy symptoms and all around health as well. I had a fainting spell with each pregnancy and one of the suspected causes was that I wasn’t properly hydrated so drink that water ladies!
- Relieving Muscle aches – One of the reasons a lot of moms are so tired or unable to sleep is because they are in pain from muscle aches and pains, so if you take care of those symptoms you can often have an easier time finding rest.
- Aromatherapy – I know a lot of moms use essential oils and there are several kinds that you can apply or diffuse that induse relaxation. I personally use a pillow spray from bath and body works that contains lavender and chamomile. I spray my pillow, blankets, and sheet with it and it will help me to feel more relaxed and fall asleep easier at bedtime.
This is a tricky one because I personally feel there is not much you can do to relieve this symptom. I think it is more genetics then anything and applying creams is mainly to make yourself feel like your fixing it. I feel it is a very common symptom though and one many moms wish to fix so lets address it! Remember to consult a healthcare professional before trying any of these remedies. Here are the top 5 ways to combat this symptom, that were submitted by real moms:
- Vitamin E – Taking a vitamin e supplement may help you with basic skin health and is proven to be good for anti-aging and skin care.
- Creams and Oils with Vitamin E – If you are going to use a cream or oil on your body to help with stretch marks, most moms and beauty gurus advise that whatever you use, make sure it has vitamin e in it. Again vitamin e is good for your skin and skin health so if anythings going to help this would be it!
- Drink Water – Making sure you’re hydrated will help with skin elasticity and your skin will stretch and snap back a lot easier!
- It Works! Products – I am not a distributor but I know a lot of mommies that use these products and/or sell them. The women I know that sell them I trust when they say something works. A lot of moms use their wraps and stretch mark cream and swear by it.
- Exercise – Wow exercise is good for a lot of things I guess! Toning your body after pregnancy and staying in shape while pregnant could reduce the amount of stretch you get/ have over time. if anything it will make you feel happier, healthier, and have better body image!
I hope you took some great things away from this post today and I’m super happy to do the research and find some remedies to help us pregnant mommies to feel better! Leave a comment and tell me your favorite remedies for pregnancy symptoms! Don’t forget to sign my guestbook before leaving! XOXO